This Friday, the Public Safety committee will be hosting an open forum to give students the opportunity to ask the ULPD Police Chief, Gary Lewis, questions and let him know what we as students would like to see from our Campus Police.
From several conversations with peers, safety is a huge concern for several of our students. Students receive RAVE alerts frequently about sexual assaults or robberies on campus. This should not be normalized. Please share this and comment with your thoughts, concerns and suggestions so that we can feel more safe on OUR campus. If we don’t express it, we will see no change!
Here are a few tips to follow to stay safe on campus:
1. Use the L-Trail
2. Sign up for the Rave Guardian Safety App
3. If you see something, say something. Call ULPD at (502) 852-6111 for suspicious activity.
4. Call 911 for all emergencies needing police, fire or EMS
5. Lock your parked vehicle
6. Don’t leave items in plain view in your vehicle on campus or shopping
7. Store items left in the vehicle in the trunk
8. Lock your housing unit’s doors and windows
9. Know who is at the door before opening your door
10. Lock your bicycle with a good lock such as a “U” lock (not a cable or chain)
11. Do not meet unknown people on and off campus to purchase or retrieve items
12. Maintain control of your purse, wallet, backpack, laptop, cell phone and your credit card
13. Stop and look before crossing any street or parking lot
14. Don’t be so consumed with your cell phone or music that you are not aware of your surroundings
15. Walk in groups or pairs
16. Use the shuttle system
17. Use escorts; these are available between dusk and dawn
18. If you are riding a bicycle, obey all traffic laws
19. If you are driving a vehicle, look for pedestrians, bicycles and motorcycles
The Community Immersion committee seeks to engage University of Louisville students in the Louisville community through outreach and service in an effort to forge meaningful student-community connections while working to strengthen their knowledge of Louisville’s history and most pertinent issues.